Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Poppy Seed Bread

I made this bread for my mom. When I was younger we went to The Dansbury Depot, In Pennsylvania, and she loved their poppy seed bread. She liked it so much that she got a few loaves and froze them. The other day she was talking about how she wanted to order a few more, So I said that I wanted to try and make it for her. I didn't think that it would come out exactly the same but I figured I could give it a try and maybe she would have something else that she liked. She said she liked it.. That means a lot coming from my mom because shes kind of picky with things that I make. Personally I'm not a fan of things like this so I didn't taste it but a friend of mine did and he liked it also. Maybe you'd like to give it a try..

Ingredients-
-3 cups flour
-2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons salt
-3 tablespoons poppy seeds
-1 1/2 cups milk
-1 cup & 2 tablespoons oil
-3 eggs
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Directions-
-Mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds

-Then mix milk, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract to the dry ingredient mixture

-Pour into 2 greased loaf pans

-Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes


This is before it went into the oven


After the oven
The edges browned a little more than I would have like them to so I would start checking on it around the 1 hour mark.

2 comments:

  1. This bread came out delicious! I'm the picky mom sally is talking about lol she did a great job! I never eat the ends anyway loved the middle though Good Job! Now bake me some more new things to try I am your willing test subject MUAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a huge hit in my house! My grandparents also used to get the Dansbury Depot bread and freeze it. This recipie is the closest I have EVER come to replicating it. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete